Notifications
Clear all

Need to save my queen.  

RSS
Lucia Stewart

Hello,

I inspected my weak hive, my Saskatraz.  I have so few bees left with no eggs or brood but I do have both capped and uncapped honey so I was surprised to see the queen.  My concern is with so few of bees , and I mean a handful,   I do not know if my queen will survive.  Is there anything I can do or should I just wait and see?

I still have 2 hives that are doing well,  they are too mean to die.

Lucia

Posted : 24/03/2019 9:38 am
BM Staff
Member Admin

Hi Lucia,

If the cluster of bees is small, a colony is going to delay brooding up until the weather is more temperate. They need a bigger cluster to keep brood alive while is very cold. If the colony has food, we recommend leaving them alone and see how they do through March and into April. At this time you cannot bring bees from another hive or do any other management you could do with warmer weather. If they had insulation, we'd recommend keeping the insulation there until we are past any risk of cold weather.

As beekeepers, we want to have colonies that are nice to work with. We usually requeen any mean colonies, hoping that the change of queen will remove the aggressive behavior. This is a must for any urban beekeeper since you cannot allow your bees to bother any neighbors.

That being said, more aggressive bees tend to be stronger and survive better. Yellow jackets tend to leave them alone in the fall and they could strive in areas where other more docile bees are wiped out. But they're not fun to have around or work with...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/03/2019 11:33 am
Lucia Stewart

Thank you Ari,

I thought the same thing.  

I just read the article that was sent out by the association about dead out and varroa mites and I think that is what happened to my colony.  A lot that was in the article matched what I found in my hive and my frames looked alot like the pictures in the article so I hold little hope for my poor hive...:(  I think I saw some of the crystals that was mentioned but I need to take another look at the frames but that will not happen until the weather get nice again.  I will put on the bee cozy like you suggested...  that can't hurt.   I did try to attach pictures but did not work

You are correct about the mean girls....  they are tough.  They are part of the original package I bought from you three seasons ago. I was not able to find the queens at all last season but she must be there and i am fine with that.

enjoy your day.

Lucia

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/03/2019 12:31 pm
Lucia Stewart

Hello there again,

I was thinking that I will need to split one of my mean girl hive and I wondering if I could then combine it with my weak hive?  Finding my queen in my mean girl hive will be challenging but that way I could save my Saskratz queen, and chill out my my mean girl.

My next question would be weather permitting could I this...this weekend if it is warm enough since the cluster is so small?  I know that will have to keep them separated for a bit of time using newspaper.  I was thinking putting my mean girls on the bottom but do I need to close the entrance so they do not go back to the original hive?

Is this an option?

Luica

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/03/2019 12:34 pm
BM Staff
Member Admin

Hi Lucia,

For that kind of management, we need to see mature drones in most hives. 

We have not seen in this area the number of drones needed to mate new queens yet. 

We recommend doing it once we get warmer weather and the drone population is higher and mature.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/03/2019 2:45 pm
Share: