The sign in the picture below says:…..” Please do not disturb the honeybees. Their pollinating work ensures your food supply”.
That’s truth. Honeybees are a inestimable value as agents of cross-pollination, and so many plants are dependent of honeybees for their reproduction.
According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, workers honeybees pollinate 80 percent of our flowering crops which constitute 1/3 of everything we eat. Losing them will affect the production of strawberries, almonds, apples and many other plants like alfalfa, which will develop in threaten our beef and dairy industries.
Did you know that……?
- There are three types of bees in each colony: the queen bee, the worker bee and the drone.
- There is only one queen per hive?
- The queen and the worker bees are all female.
- The drones are all male.
- The practice of beekeeping dates back to the stone-age. There are several cave paintings that shows this activity.
- A queen bee can live for 3 to 5 years.